When Netflix laid down the hammer on VPNs, it came as a shock to those users who were used to accessing bigger content library from the US Netflix. For years, it seemed like a mutually beneficial deal – people were paying Netflix from whichever country they resided and used a VPN to access additional content by appearing to be in a another country that offered a bigger content selection.
With pressures from copyright holders, Netflix had to either block VPNs, or pay for global licensing of the select shows. They chose the first option. Leaving customers with a choice to leave Netflix or find alternative solutions to watch entertaining movies.
Some chose torrenting – but that option is ridden with fears of catching a virus sooner than enjoying a good flick. Many found themselves in a pickle: if you wanted to remain secure online and couldn’t watch films on Netflix, what could you do? A collective groan sped throughout the internet.
However, after much research and extensive testing, we found NordVPN, who must have found some great way to keep users enjoying their Netflix while at the same time securing their data.
That’s right—you can still watch Netflix by using NordVPN’s services. In fact, there are two great ways to do so: Smart Play and the NordVPN Netflix workaround. We’ll start off with the easiest.
SmartPlay offers a smooth and continuous flow of content through working servers so you don’t have to do anything on your side.
First, we’ll head over to Netflix.com and log in without a VPN to compare. When I log into my Netflix account, I get the usual highly limited selection that is usual for anyone outside the US. For example, under my ‘New Releases’ category, I get a few not particularly popular or great choices.
We’ll see the difference after I connect to my VPN.
1. Go to NordVPN.com
2. Select a plan that is suitable for you. I suggest taking one year plan with this coupon code VPNSPECIAL, which makes the service 4$/month. (70% off)
3. Complete purchase and create an account.
4. Download the NordVPN app for your device.
5. When you’ve downloaded and installed the app, enter your login details.
6. When you’re logged in, head over to Settings in the top section.
7. Then click on SmartPlay in order to activate the feature. SmartPlay should be ON
8. Click on Map and choose United States.
9. You’re now connected. Head on over to Netflix.com and see the difference!
I’ll click on ‘New Releases’ again and see what my Netflix is offering now.
As you can see, there are quite more options, and ones more recent as well, such as Zootopia. Further down you’ll find a lot more choices than the regular, limited non-US version. I’ll click on Zootopia to see if it works.
Perfect! My movie works, and I wouldn’t have been able to do it without NordVPN!
If you’d like to watch Netflix without NordVPN’s SmartPlay, you’ll have to do a little bit more work. Netflix is actively seeking out servers that circumvent its VPN blocking. The servers that work are constantly being updated as Netflix sometimes blocks servers. Therefore, this requires you to get the working server details directly from NordVPN’s support team.
1. In order to do that, you’ll need to head over to NordVPN’s homepage and contact customer support. They’ll get back to you soon with the specific US servers that will provide unfettered Netflix access.
2. Go to the app on your desktop or mobile device and click on United States servers.
3. Choose the specific server from the recommended list given by NordVPN’s support and click on ‘Connect now’.
Head on over to Netflix and see the magic difference!
And that’s it! It’s quite easy and pain-free to watch the US version of Netflix with NordVPN to get even more selection and fantastic film choices.
Ready to expand Netflix library? Go to NordVPN